Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Savory Bread Pudding

Leeks, Cheese & Brioche Over this past weekend, I found a backlog of Martha Stewart shows on my DVR & took the opportunity to get caught up. One episode featured Thomas Keller, of French Laundry fame, making a lovely leek bread pudding. I'm not sure why, but I've been drawn to a lot of bread pudding recipes recently. I think it's the relatively reasonably priced, readily available, yummy BRIOCHE that is spurring me on. All Things Bread!!! ~ that could really be my motto. (I would be SO UN-happy on a low carb diet) Anyhow, I had to zip over to the market & pick up the ingredients, as I don't always have leeks, brioche & fresh herbs in my kitchen. A necessary washing of the leeks, then some grating, chopping & whisking, followed with the layering of the bread, cheese & custard....and pop it into the oven until it's puffed & golden brown. My family (of 4) ate the entire thing for dinner (it was supposed to serve 6-8 as a main dish)....so I'd say it was a hit! Even Jared, who is frequently groaning about wanting MEAT, raved about it. ;0)